As exciting as remodeling may sound, it can sometimes be a challenge especially when it comes to home electrical renovation.
Aside from the aesthetics of your new design, you can also be met by the various quotes you got from contractors such as Electrician Services Townsville. There may also be budget constraints that limit you from going all in.
On top of all that is also making sure that your new system is safe and functional. Combine all these concerns together (and more), and it may not entirely be a field day.
This is why we have written this step-by-step guide to a domestic electrical renovation in Townsville. Follow this, and you’re sure to have a smooth and successful transformation for your home!
Electrical Renovation Ideas
A home electrical renovation isn’t something you should take lightly. Before you start working on your electrical system, you must first have a checklist of what needs to be installed in a room.
Having said this, lighting should be one of the top priorities in the renovation. Such a simple feature can bring drastic change to the appearance of your whole house.
Aside from the lighting and other aesthetics, you should also focus on other equipment that can fill spaces in your home. In this part, we will give you design tips and choices so you can create an organized checklist before your electrical renovation.
- Most homeowners treat their bedrooms as their sanctuary. It is your main resting space in the house, and setting the mood with lights is essential. Your bedroom should be well-lit during daytime, and dim for when it’s time to sleep. This can be achieved by asking your electrician to install a light dimmer to adjust lighting depending on your mood.
You can also opt to add pin lights, bedside lights, or a ceiling fan with lights in it. It is also good if the wiring was added beforehand for future electrical renovations.
- Set the tone of your home in your living room. This is usually the space that greets you and your guests when they enter the house. Having a well-lit living room can make your home more inviting. Adding equipment such as a TV, sound system, or gaming console can add to the entertainment factor of the room.
It’s also important to install ample outlets in this space. You can always ask a trusted Townsville electrician for advice
- The kitchen is a space where a lot of appliances are placed. You should plan this space out with your hired domestic electrician before doing a home electrical renovation. Kitchens also follow prerequisite safety standards. Make sure that these standards are met before, during, and after the renovation.
Another thing you should look out for in a kitchen is the lighting. Make sure that there are no dark areas so that you can see everything you’re doing while you cook. Safety is a high priority when renovating this room. Have your electrician install ground fault circuit interrupters in your outlets since they are located near water. Ventilation and the proper installation of smoke detectors is another essential element you should consider.
- Just like the inside of your home, the outside areas should be prioritized too. While the electrical renovation for this space would be simpler, it is also important. Adding a few lights outside your home provides an added layer of security at night.
If you have a patio or a backyard that you use to entertain guests, you can install lanterns, fairy lights, or pool lights to illuminate your house even more. This way, you can have a home that’s bright and lively.
Steps to a Succesful Home Electrical Renovation
Now that you have some ideas on what to consider in your home electrical renovation, here are the steps to making sure that it is done safely and successfully.
- Assess your electrical needs. This should be the first step in your renovation plan. You should assess your existing electrical system and check whether there’s a need for repair, replacement, or any potential hazards. You should also list down the electrical appliances you need and make sure that your system can handle the load.
Planning the layout is also a must. Consider where you want to place your outlets, lighting fixtures, etc. You can always double-check with an electrician later.
- Hire professional help. Electrical Townsville contractors are easy to find, but you have to make sure that you find the most qualified to provide your needs. They should be reputable with a lot of experience and positive feedback. The electricians you’d be looking for should be licensed, and know the ins and outs of electrical systems. They should also be open communicators and should take into consideration your suggestions along the way.
Before making your decision, you should contact multiple contractors to compare prices and services. Once you find the one that ticks all the boxes on your list, finalize a contract that includes all the details of your project.
- Obtain permits and inspections. If you are a resident of Townsville, you first have to contact the Townsville City Council to see if you would need approval or any permits for renovating. If there are any, make sure you complete and submit all the necessary paperwork before starting your reno.
Make sure that you coordinate with an inspector to ensure compliance with electrical regulations all throughout the project.
Home electrical renovation can be a daunting task especially if you have no idea where to start. With this simple guide, we hope can help you prepare for that upcoming project of making your house a home.