Recovery is a personal journey unique to each individual, that can often feel isolating if you don’t have the support you need. However, one-on-one treatment, also called individual therapy, provides the opportunity for building a unique and sturdy bond with the therapist. For a lot of people, this individual counseling acts like a luxury medical detox and strongly supports healing. Most luxury rehabs have different kinds of treatment, such as family therapy, group therapy, individual therapy, etc., and each of them has its impact on overall treatment and recovery.
The main value of individual counseling is the extra focus that the provider has on the patient, allowing both the therapist and the patient to explore the situation in depth. A lot of people find this extremely beneficial, and it is necessary for some of the patients. Many conditions also need individual treatment or counseling, and some high-profile individuals try remaining anonymous all through their treatment, which makes attending group therapy challenging.
Benefits of Individual Counseling & Therapy at a Luxury Rehab
With individual counseling, you get one-to-one sessions with the therapist or the counselor, and this has some beneficial takeaways:
- In individual therapy, you will remain the focal point as your provider focuses mainly on you, facilitating them to get a deep understanding of various aspects of life.
- You can speak on various topics in each session as here only you and your provider. You get more time to work on your issues that are unique to your situation, such as employment status and many more.
- You will get a chance to make some adjustments to your programs, which is not possible in group settings. With one-to-one sessions, you will get the space for discussing the structure of the program. If some things are not working for you, you can discuss with your provider to change it.
- There is more privacy, and you can work at a speed that is comfortable for you. Extra treatment includes various goal-setting and skill-increasing work. In individual sessions, you will go through this at your speed.
- You get a chance to develop a strong bond with your counselor, and your therapist gets a chance to know more about your life and what’s troubling you.
Why Is Individual Counseling So Helpful?
With individual counseling, you get a chance to think back about your past and various choices. A skilled counselor helps individuals work through various issues and helps them locate the motivating factors of various actions and behaviors. It might not seem so important, but in some cases, you might continue with some habits that are self-destructive because of the scars from the past that have not healed. Such aspects must be addressed, like the inclination towards living irresponsibly. Counselors are often trained to work with patients through problems of such kinds.
After working through detox and withdrawals, the individual counseling addressed the mental and psychological part of the recovery. Individual counseling sessions include the given important features:
- Discussion of the existing state of the whole recovery procedure
- Addressing the barriers to sobriety
- Discovering interpersonal relationships and their effect on the recovery process or the individual.
- Looking for ways to manage and address the cravings and the withdrawal symptoms.
- Integration of new coping methods or maintenance of existing ones.
- Setting up goals for the future, especially close and attainable ones.
These are some of the obvious goals that can assist in working through things. Individual counseling also has the benefit of getting direct one-to-one attention, and sharing is also comfortable.
What Happens in One-on-One Counseling?
One-to-one counseling mainly starts with starting to know you and about your addiction experience. Your counselor will ask some questions to determine when the addictive behavior started, the role it plays in your life, and whether or not you are ready to make some changes. If you are committed to stopping that behavior, your counselor will work with you to recognize the triggers and all tricky situations.
Many a time, we will find that the addiction starts from some past trauma. This can be something that happened to you in your earlier life or recently. If this is the case, the initial stage of your one-to-one counseling will assist you in strengthening your coping strategies, understanding how trauma has an impact on your nervous system, and preparing for focused trauma therapy.
Then, in one-to-one counseling, you will get access to several proof-based therapies for helping yourself heal from past trauma. This involves Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. Then, the focus will be on post-traumatic growth and developing coping mechanisms for practicing after returning home.
Every aspect of your life is looked at, starting from your relationship with your family members to how you are interacting at work, to obtain a complete round view of your challenges. To assist you in rebuilding relationships that might have broken down because of active addiction, you can also involve your loved ones in your therapy sessions.
The Healing Process of Individual Counseling
One-to-one counseling helps you build rapport with your counselor or the care provider, which can assist in recovery in powerful ways. Strong relationships with the therapist are the cornerstone of any successful therapy. When you spend more one-on-one time with your counselor, you will find yourself more reliable, opening up for intimate traits of your life. In one-to-one settings, your therapist will remain dedicated to offering care for different situations.
It is vital to keep in mind that other therapies, such as group therapy as well as family therapy, also offer benefits that you might not be able to obtain from one-to-one therapy. Your situation and rehabilitation program needs are always unique, and not all are comfortable opening up in group therapies, and this hinders the recovery process.
Your choice of luxury rehab is the determining factor in whether you will require future treatment or not. Selecting the wrong rehab center might continue the downward spiral that addiction has formed in your life and can make you relapse easily.